Bring on the New Year!
A Review of 2012, a Preview of 2013
Issues affecting condominium communities are often complex and always changing, as exemplified by the news in 2012. At GSL, we try to deal with issues before they become problems, and we also try to learn from the past. Throughout our service area, we are proud to take a leadership role in our industry, whether it is sponsoring CAI and NE Condominium Expos, hosting seminars, serving on legislative action committees in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, tracking new regulations, or writing commentaries on a myriad of topics that affect our clients and colleagues.
Key to our approach is serving as a resource to you, and a major initiative in 2012 was developing a new GSL website with an informative blog, featuring posts that typically coincided with industry news. Looking back, we thought it would be helpful to review some of last year’s industry highlights with links to our blog posts and related articles. What follows are seasonal spotlights, starting with a piece last December about why associations shouldn’t take shortcuts and ending with an announcement this week about our Rhode Island office move. In between, we cover everything from smoking offenders to sexual offenders, dog days to pool days, mulch to music, loans to liens, the FHA to the SJC.
Here’s our review with links to all:
- It Doesn’t Pay to Repair a Condo on the Cheap!
- Embracing Technology.
- Snow & Ice: How to Avoid a Slippery Legal Slope.
- The Dish on Satellite Dish: Owners Get Poor Reception if They Venture into Common Areas.
- MALAC: Advocates for Associations.
- Resolving Encroachment Issues.
- Everyone in the Pool? Check ADA Regs!
- Associations & Music Licensing Fees.
- Protecting RI Associations from Transfer Fees.
- Major RI Supreme Court Win: Associations Now in Control of Development Rights.
- GSL Moves to Larger Office in Dedham.
- Court-ordered Eviction in Plymouth.
- Picture This: A Click Can Make Your Case.
- Clearing the Air: Smoking Regulations and Condos.
- Need a Loan? You Can Bank on This!
- Sex Offenders: How to Deal with a Nasty Problem.
- Addressing the RI Supreme Judicial Court.
- Preparing for the Next Economic Wave: Loan Service Will Meet Commercial Real Estate Needs.
- Foreclosure Prevention Law.
- Much Ado About Mulch.
- FHA Releases Updated Condo Guidelines: Addresses Areas of CAI Concern, Makes It Easier to Get Certification.
- Beware the Dog Days of November: New Legislation Changes Animal Regulation Control.
- “Coming Home” Creates Legal Dilemmas.
- Diving In: Disabled Seniors Deserve Rights.
- An Appealing Outcome for Associations.
- Taking Over from the Developer: How Can an Association Take Control?
And finally, this breaking news: